Sunday, March 30, 2014

You gotta start somewhere


Passion stirs from the oddest places and for me Facebook was the catalyst that took my passion for illustrating to a new level.  Stumbling across the Facebook page for Children's Book illustrator Will Terry was a unique cog in how my Illustration career became a reality.  At first I was mesmerized by his ability to create such eye catching illustrations for kids and the innate ability to paint color and light.  I liked his page and began to follow his many posts about drawing, education, the industry and so many other interesting topics.  I began to watch his Youtube videos that captured him drawing and painting to glean the tools and wisdom he possessed.

After a month or so I noticed a post of his offering an online LIVE class called "Painting in Photoshop".  I talked about it with my wife with a new kindled enthusiasm that was childlike and familiar.  Why familiar? Because I had been drawing since I was 5 years old and as I grew into a teenager I would sit for hours drawing and creating in my own unique way.  Most of my earlier work was pencil drawings with Pen and Ink using the Rapidiograph pen.  My inspiration was often twisted in nature and my final artwork would represent where I found myself in life.  Trapped in a life I would never have chose today though I know that these darker times were shaping me into the man I am today.  Above was an original piece of artwork I did back in the early 90's appropriately named "Trapped".

I am thoroughly enjoying developing my skills and talents and will continue to post my artwork from the very early on illustrations. I think the journey will unfold on its own.

Yes this is my first of many more blog posts to come so I welcome anyone who see's and follows this blog.  Take this journey with me as I meander down this old familiar pathway I was once on and find myself on again.  Illustration is my passion, I love to learn and hone my craft and my faith has led me back to a place I once was and am overjoyed to be again.

1 comment:

  1. John this is awesome. Both you and your brother have a real talent for art, drawing, creativity and imagination. I am so glad you found your way back. Answered prayer is always a huge blessing. Praise and glory to God for all His many gifts to us.

    ReplyDelete